Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Benefits of Meditation

Let me first begin with stating that I used to have a very bad temper. I was the type of person that could snap at the blink of an eye, and then do who knows.

Now, being older, the temper has subsided. In large part due to learning to meditate.

My first experience with meditation, was around the age of 16 or there abouts. I had been court ordered to get anger management. And the anger management program I was taking had a machine the councilor would hook me up to. This machine would basically read my brain activity, and it would show this activity on a monitor that was placed in front of me while I was hooked up. The councilor would then have me sit hooked up and watch this monitor showing my brain activity and then as if it was a game, see how low I could make the readings go.

Through practice and the discovery of controlling my breathing while hooked to this machine I was able to bring the readings down on the machine to extremely low levels. It became a pleasant experience each time I went to the clinic.

I then later learned that all I was being taught was meditation. And once I completed my course, I took what I learned there with me, and began applying it in my everyday life. I became calmer and more rational with my anger.

Now, I still use what I learned. But I have also since learned different techniques and advanced my depth of meditation. To the point now, my intent is to enter a trance state, in order to explore astral projection, and higher planes of consciousness.

Now, I think this would be a good time to let you know. That I am not the type of person you would expect to be talking about this sort of thing. I am not some kind of new age, hippie, wiccan, vegetarian tree hugger. In fact if you seen me, you most likely wouldn't expect me to be interested in the things that I am. You would think I'm into nascar, and deer hunting. The saying “Don't read a book by it's cover” really applies to me.

I only mention this as I don't want you to get the wrong impression of me. I am a very rational, and logically thinking person.

I firmly believe that more meditation is needed in this world as a whole. To many people are strung to tight. To many people are to busy running around these days with their day to day lives. People should slow down, take a moment for them selves. You would be surprised at just how much more you would see and be able to accomplish in a day if you were to take 20 minutes of your day, and give it to meditation. Just clear your mind as best you can (this truly takes a lot of practice) and concentrate on your breathing. Try a inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, then exhale for 4 seconds exercise. You'll find just doing the breathing exercise that your mind will clear it's self, and your body will relax to some extent on its own.

Just doing this for 20 minutes a day, I believe you'll find you have a better outlook on life, and that you are more focused, and that you are more aware of your surroundings. It works for me. If and when I find myself in a stressful environment or situation, if I am able to, I take what few minutes I have, to simply focus on my breathing and clear my mind, and relax.

So with that, I think I'll end this one. Give it a try some time. You may be surprised at what you find.

E

No comments: