Friday, July 27, 2007

Iraqi US Embassy

I think this is kind of old news. But I stumbled upon C-SPAN earlier today channel surfing, when I caught Representative John Duncan R-TN in the US House of Representatives, talking about the new US embassy being built in Baghdad, Iraq.

The Representative was voicing his displeasure about this embassy costing $592,000,000 to build, in a war torn Iraq. When I heard this amount, I was shocked. He then went on to state this will be the largest embassy in the world. With a operational cost of over a billion dollars a year.

Talk about a misallocated source of US tax dollars at work. What does a thing like this say to the Iraqi's? Your country is in total disarray, your infrastructure is totally and completely destroyed and were here building the largest embassy in the world. All at the same time, the Iraqi children are walking to school through sewage, only to arrive at a bombed out school building.

What were these people thinking? This is in the middle of a war, where are brave soldiers are going into combat with out armor at times. I'm honestly surprised the construction area of this embassy hasn't been mortared or targeted by insurgents. I suspect it will only be time before this happens.

It's not like Iraq is going any where. I think we could have waited before doing something like this.

E

2 comments:

Breck said...

Well I'm guessing atleast we got a decent deal on the land anyway, I hear is a real buyers market over there. Makes ya wonder why we didn't build the most expensive embassy in Nagasaki or Hiroshima after WW2, back when we used to fight wars to win them.

Eclectic said...

Ha Ha, Yeah I suppose the deal on the land was a real "steal".